OSM is built by a community of local mappers that keeps data about roads, cafés, subway stations, and much more up to date every day.
OpenStreetMap emphasizes local knowledge. Contributors make use of aerial imagery, GPS devices, and low-tech field maps to verify that OSM is up to date and accurate.
From the engineers that tune OSM's servers to the Humanitarian OSM Team that maps disaster-affected areas, OSM's community is diverse, passionate, and growing every day.
OpenStreetMap is open data, licensed under the Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL).
You are free to copy, distribute, transmit and adapt our data, as long as you credit OpenStreetMap and its contributors. If you alter or build upon our data, you may distribute the result only under the same licence. The full legal code explains your rights and responsibilities. The cartography in our map tiles, and our documentation, are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license (CC-BY-SA).
Although OpenStreetMap is open data, we cannot provide a free-of-charge map API for third-party developers. See our API Usage Policy, Tile Usage Policy and Nominatim Usage Policy.
We require that you use the by-osm symbol to credit OpenStreetMap data. Where not possible, you may use “© OpenStreetMap contributors” instead.
You must also make it clear that the data is available under the Open Database License, and if using our map tiles, that the cartography is licensed as CC-BY-SA. You may do this by linking to this copyright page. Alternatively, and as a requirement if you are distributing OSM in a data form, you can name and link directly to the license(s). In media where links are not possible (e.g. printed works), we suggest you direct your readers to openstreetmap.org (perhaps by expanding 'OpenStreetMap' to this full address), to opendatacommons.org, and if relevant, to creativecommons.org.
Our contributors are thousands of individuals. We also include openly-licensed data from national mapping agencies and other sources, among them:
- Austria: Contains data from Stadt Wien (under CC BY), Land Vorarlberg and Land Tirol (under CC-BY AT with amendments).
- Canada: Contains data from GeoBase®, GeoGratis (© Department of Natural Resources Canada), CanVec (© Department of Natural Resources Canada), and StatCan (Geography Division, Statistics Canada).
- France: Contains data sourced from Direction Générale des Impôts.
- Netherlands: Contains © AND data, 2007 (www.and.com)
- New Zealand: Contains data sourced from Land Information New Zealand. Crown Copyright reserved.
- South Africa: Contains data sourced from Chief Directorate: National Geo-Spatial Information, State copyright reserved.
- United Kingdom: Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2010-12.
OSM contributors are reminded never to add data from any copyrighted sources (e.g. Google Maps or printed maps) without explicit permission from the copyright holders.